I’m so excited to take this piece of clay and mold it into something I can enjoy. When the snow first started to melt, Mike and I talked about laying down a cement pad where the garden is, and moving the shed there. Right now the shed comes out straight into the yard and makes a lilac bush pretty inaccessible. Also, the plywood the shed is currently sitting on is terribly warped. But we’re not ready for an expense like a cement pad. Right now we are trying to pay for a trip to Disneyland in September.
I told my mom about the plans for the cement pad and she said something like “The prophet said to keep a garden.” Well, ha! I didn’t believe her. I wanted to see it in writing… And I found an article where Spencer W. Kimball talks about keeping a garden to aid the saints in becoming self-sufficient (“Family Preparedness,” Ensign, May 1976, 124). My dad said something the week before that made a lot of sense to me. Gas prices are getting ridiculous, and they say it’s not going to get any better. Say truckers go on strike and all that’s in the grocery stores now is gone in a week. What would you do for food? You’d be better off with even a little bit of food storage and even a small garden don’t you think? “Lefou, I’m afraid I’ve been thinking…” (Finish that quote or tell me which movie it’s from!) So until we are ready to move the shed, I think I could put that weed patch to good use!
To be honest though, I have more selfish reasons for working this garden. I think it will fun! The fruits of my labor are just a bonus. :) I just tell you all this stuff about my mom and the prophet to give the story of the origin of my green thumb.
There was also some free wood. I read somewhere about raised gardens, and I
My next stepping stone is to find some free fill dirt on ksl. Well, actually I have already found some there, but I just have to figure out how to get some to my house. Then for the top 6 inches I need potting soil or something really rich in nutrients. They say most plants only grow in the top 6 inches.
I did a ton of work on the raspberry plants in the back against the fence. I cut out a huge pile of dead stuff. Once a cane bares fruit it dies and it needs to be cut out to make room for new canes.
I read that raspberries canes are biennial. The first year the cane grows and is called a primocane. The second year it bears fruit and is called a floricane. So I cut away everything but 4 canes, and one has little green berries on it! I think that means it is a fall-summer bearing raspberry cultivar and not a summer-only.
One day I asked my mom if she had a hoe I could borrow to churn up the weeds. She said yes and brought me over a brand new hoe, shovel, hand clippers, two decorative garden stakes (they look like dodo birds) and a tomato plant! Holy crap! What a sweetheart!
So far this venture into the Weed Patch has only cost me $13.47 for L-brakets. But now I have to buy Mike some new drill bits. Ooops!

3 comments:
So much fun! Bree, I'm excited that you've joined the wide world of blogging now, too! You will love it!
Yay Bree has a blog!! And I know what you mean about food storage and gardening, I've definitely been feeling like I've got to get some cause of food and gas prices and stuff if not for me but for my KIDS! So I did order some food storage and that makes me feel better but I've ALWAYS wanted a garden but I guess I've been too lazy. I know I would like it too... and I would never think to look on KSL! Anyway I had fun reading your gardening adventures, it inspires me!
You know, I wouldn't call it a "selfish" reason to want to do a garden for fun with the fruits (pronounced Frew-its) being only icing. That's what I'm doing. Besides, it makes for good practice and outdoor-sy activities are always good for you -- it's the vitamin D ;)If you did do a concrete pad there is an option a little cheaper than cement. We're doing a pad on the side of our house with this limestone-type stuff. You'll have to take a look at it when it's done and see what you think :)
Post a Comment